Success, Fate, Happiness
+ Some Exciting News

Success means different things to different people.

For one person, success may mean continually climbing the ladder in their career, always seeking the next rung. For another, it may mean successfully holding the same position for 20 years.

For one fitness-enthusiast, it may mean completing their first marathon. For another, it might be learning to run for the first time.

My point is that success is subjective and we should all measure ours according to our own strengths, goals, and values, celebrating each achievement and not comparing ourselves to others or beating ourselves up for set backs.

This post is going to get very personal, and a little philosophical, but bear with me. I have some good news at end.

In August of 2013, I was working a job that no longer inspired me. I didn’t agree with my company’s vision and the work itself became monotonous and unfulfilling. I was very unhappy, and that disappointment in my career was spilling over into my personal life, making me an altogether unpleasant person to be around.

I knew I wanted something different for my life, but I didn’t have the courage to do anything about it. I couldn’t admit that all of my decisions up until then had led me down the wrong path.

I’d chosen the career, and that was the job I must continue to do. It was too late to make a major change.

“Well, this is my life,” I thought.

Luckily for me (although I didn’t know it then), my company did have the courage. They saw my unhappiness in my position, and called me out on it. After two and a half years, they were laying me off. The company was going in a new direction and the job I was originally brought on to do no longer made sense. I could stay on as a freelancer, but my full-time position was being eliminated.

I was caught completely off guard.

I felt angry, hurt, ashamed, and completely betrayed. How could they do this to me after all I’d done for them? It felt very personal, and I felt like a failure. It was the first time I’d ever been let go.

pin-9

I didn’t talk about it then, just merely alluded to the fact that I was no longer working there. I was too embarrassed.

Being in the entertainment industry, you see people get hired, fired, and laid off on a weekly basis. That’s just how it works. In other industries, it’s not so callous. Still, when it happens to you, it’s hard to swallow.

After a couple of days of feeling sorry for myself though, the anger passed and another feeling was replaced: relief. The stress and frustration of years of unhappiness in my career was washing away, and I had a revelation.

“Maybe, just maybe, this is the best thing that has ever happened to you,” I thought. “This is your chance to seize that dream that before seemed impossible. This is a turning point. This is your second chance.”

With the love and support of my family and fiancรฉ, I took it. I decided to go back to school to pursue my longtime dream of becoming a Registered Dietitian.

Everything happens for a reason. I know that is a cliche, but it’s completely true. I 100% believe that things will always work out as they should, and while we can try to make things happen as we’d like, we must also be flexible and accept that the universe has a plan that we may not understand at the moment.

pin-6

I had a major success in my life this week.

On Monday, I found out that I was accepted into the University of Southern California’s Davis School of Gerontology for their Masters of Nutrition Program.

It is a two-year coordinated dietetics program, which upon competition will qualify me to take the board-certifying test to be called a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.

When I read the letter, my heart swelled and tears filled my eyes. I’ve been working toward this goal for almost two years now, and have dreamed about it for many more than that. I almost can’t believe it’s actually happening.

Though I’m only half way to my destination, I believe the hard work and effort I’ve put in thus far deserves celebration.

If you had asked me seven years ago when I moved to Los Angeles what I thought I’d be doing now, I never would have guessed that I’d be a student again. I knew I was passionate about nutrition and fitness, and early on had entertained the idea of going back to school, however, I never thought it would be a reality.

Looking back to two years ago, I now see my situation with fresh eyes. I am so, so thankful that I was laid off. I can only imagine how miserable I would be right now if I was still in the same place. I am incredibly happy now and my friends and family can attest to that.

To sum things up, this post may not seem directly related to fitness or nutrition, but it is applicable.

When it comes to your goals in life (health-related or otherwise)ย โ€”ย don’t compare, don’t judge, don’t question the universe. Work hard and passionately, and accept that things will not always go the way you’ve planned. Be open to change, and strive for the ability to recognize blessings in disguise.

pin-4

Your success will not look the same as someone else’s, but the most important thing is how it feels to you.

Are you happy? Are you fulfilled?

If not, maybe it’s time to make a change.

Processed with VSCOcam with p6 preset

Weigh In: What has been your most life-changing, pivotal moment?

Comments

1. I just love this post so much Whitney! I think there are so many simple out there unhappy in the direction of their career, but you are right that it is never too late! Thank you for the encouragement this morning and I am so excited for you to get started at your dream school!
    Jana @ Happy a Wife Healthy Life recently posted…Baby ‘A’ is a…My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Thank you Jana! So glad to hear you found the post encouraging – I hope others will as well! xo

2. MAJOR congratulations, Whitney! So exciting for the beginning of this new life chapter!

3. So excited for your Whitney! It’s not easy to do something totally new, nor is it easy to invest in your education with long-term goals! I also left a job that was not inspiring me (corporate PR) and am now full-time in the fitness industry along with writing. You must have an amazing support system around you! Keep up the great work and YAY for you! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Life lately and a look at all of my mealsMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Thank you Ashley! And props to you as well for recognizing you wanted something different out of life and pursuing it! Your blog and lifestyle is an inspiration to me and many others ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Amazing post!! Congrats to you Whit!

5. Congratulations, Whitney!!

6. Love this post :] Congratulations!!
    Anastasia recently posted…Review: FXP Fitness Hula Hoop SystemMy Profile

7. Congrats!!

8. I am so so so happy for you!! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so great that we are going through all of this at the same time. Different paths to get to similar goals. So cool!! Congratulations, Whitney!!!! This is going to be awesome!
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…A Treble in the Kitchen First: Traveling for the Blog #NowGetFitMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Thank you Tara!! It’s nice to know we have each other to relate as we go through these journeys!

9. I’m so happy for you Whitney!!
    Trojans unite!

10. Your honesty revelation of the journey you are on is bold, brave and beautiful, Whitney. Like you!
    Kim Nelson recently posted…Beware The Flat-Sheened SeaMy Profile

11. Congratulations on getting accepted into the grad program!!!
    I love so many of the quotes you included today.
    I’ve actually gone along for a long time without knowing what I wanted to do but in the past 4 months I’ve started making big steps in my next challenge!!!
    Kim recently posted…The Courage to be DifferentMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

That’s great Kim! I can’t wait to hear about it!! Wishing you luck in whatever you plan to pursue!

12. So happy for you Whitney! Congrats!
    Kaila @healthyhelperblog! recently posted…WIAW: A Short HiatusMy Profile

13. Congrats Whitney and good luck!!
    I love when you say everything happens for a reason, it’s so true!

14. Congrats! So excited for you. And, awesome post! I totally agree.

15. That’s really exciting can’t wait to follow you on your journey and see all that you learn. I’ve thought about getting some sort of nutrition degree myself. Fun!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Simply Ancient Grains-Cookbook ReviewMy Profile

16. I am mentally applauding right now! I loved this post. Thanks for sharing this with us, and I am so happy for your journey. Our family has been thrown some curveballs, but in retrospect, they really were all for the best! It’s crazy. They seemed so wrong and miserable at first, but opened doors for AMAZING things!!! Much love, Whitney. Go get ’em. We are all rooting for you!
    Jessica Joy @The Fit Switch recently posted…What Makes A Woman Inspiring?My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Thank you so much Jessica! It’s wonderful to hear I have the support of likeminded women like yourself!

17. Congratulations! This post is exactly what I needed to read, and has inspired me to move forward with a change in my own life. I can’t thank you enough!! I’ve shared this with my friends and family members that are also struggling with their career decisions so far, and this really proves it’s never too late!!! Thank you SO much for sharing your story!!! Best of luck on your new adventure!!!!!

• Whitney English says:

That’s amazing Alex! Sending you waves of positivity and wishing you the best of luck in whatever it is you’re planning to pursue! Thank you for the kind feedback and for sharing the post with your family and friends! xoxo

18. Words can not describe how much I love this post. First off a huge congratulations is in order!! I have followed your blog for a long time and very much look up to your work ethic and lifestyle. I recently moved out to LA (from MN by myself!) to finish up my degree in entertainment business but with little experience work wise I am not sure at this point what exactly I want to do. I have though been looking more and more into the wellness side of entertainment (if that makes sense). Seeing your transition from your previous career position to this path is very inspiring to me, so thank you for that!

• Whitney English says:

Thank you so much Taylor. It’s so gratifying to hear that my experience is impacting others. I wish you the best of luck as you figure out your path. It sounds like you’re on the right track!

Mentioned Elsewhere:

1. […] and White Architecture | Quoteย | Patternย | Silver Womanย | Pierย | Cookies Fitness Model | Headphonesย | Start […]

2. […] of the most important things I’ve learned on my journey to become a dietitian is that the reason people are often unable to achieve their goals is not due to a lack of […]