What I Ate (& Wore) Wednesday

what-i-ate-woreSeveral readers recently requested that I begin incorporating fashion into my posts.

I by no means consider myself a fashionista, but I do enjoy dressing up and I think my style is at least borderline on-trend. I mean, people typically don’t shield their eyes when they see my latest ensemble.

Since that’s the case, I may have some wisdom to impart about looking stylish, while staying within your budget.

I really like fashion, but about 85% of my time is spent in black yoga pants. This means I can’t warrant spending a ton of money on clothes.

Even when I did need to look hip everyday (when I was interviewing celebrities for a living), I still didn’t want to blow my whole budget shopping.

So during that other 15%, I would save money by employing a variety of budget-babe shopping techniques. You’ll see several of those below in today’s roundup of What I Ate (and Wore) Wednesday Last Weekend.

Going forward, expect to see more clothing-related posts here. I’ll try to weave them in with food and fitness though, as to not bore those who have no interest in becoming walking clothes hangars.

Friday started off like any other day.

james-franco-whitney

Victoria’s Secret Black Tank Top // Trina Turk Sports Bra

I’d tell you how this picture came to be, but then I’d have to kill you.

What I can tell you though is that James Franco is a beast with a jump rope. This dude hopped for about 45 minutes straight, only stopping to snap this pic. #likearabbit

But enough about him, how hot is my peek-a-boo sports bra?! I would never spend $66 on a sports bra but I won this at Maria Menounos’ book signing. Trina Turk has some adorable leggings too that are under $50, like the turquoise pair I wore to my Vinyasa y Vino party.

Despite being in a steady state of shock for the rest of the day after meeting one of the actor’s on my “Freebie List,” I still managed to get some work done, powered by a rainbow of fruits and veggies.

fruit-plate

Later in the day I celebrated my James Franco encounter with a “Pineapple Express Smuice.”

pineapple-express-smuice

I think he would have appreciated the reference.

Friday night Groomzilla and I decided to walk to dinner, passing through The Grove to check out the Nordstrom sale.

friday-night-outfit-2Nordstrom Top (much cuter one here) // Walter Baker Skirt (similar here) // Rebecca Minkoff Crossbody Bag // Nordstrom Rack sandals (similar here)

One of my best budget shopping tips is to buy things you can mix and match to make many different outfit combos. Go for solids that have a unique look.

I’ve had this skirt for years and it’s become a staple in my wardrobe. You may recognize it from last week’s BlogHer trip post. I switch it up with different tops though to make it feel new.

For dinner we checked out a new spot on 3rd street, Blue Plate Oysterette.

blue-plate

The rosé and ceviche were good, and the grilled fish was fine, but I probably wouldn’t go back.

ceviche

Saturday began with an intense living room workout in my new Caelum Sports Bra.

caleum-sports-braCaelum Bra (similar here) // De Rex Action-Short // Chow (not for sale)

Caelum is the new activewear line from Brooke Burke and I got to try it out after interviewing her recently.

caelum-bra

Unfortunately, this style isn’t available online anymore but I linked out to a similar style above from Roxy, which also has a cute back and is half the price.

The rest of the day was spent picnicking with Mr. Chow at our local park.

picnic

mr-chow

picnic-outfitLeopard Dress (similar here) // Flea Market Sunnies (similar here) // Rebecca Minkoff Crossbody Bag

I’d been wanting a pair of Ray-Ban Clubmaster shades for a while now, to replace my old Ray-Bans that broke, when I stumbled upon this pair that looked exactly the same at the Melrose Trading Post for only $5.

Think that’s a great deal? Guess where this dress is from?

Target.

Yeah, craaazy. Tip number two of this post is to scope out deals in unlikely spots. Target has super cute clothes at budget-babe prices.

I mean, there’s a reason the Instagram account @TargetDoesItAgain has 317K followers.

I dress up these cheapy fashion finds with my higher end staples like the Rebecca Minkoff purse that you must have seen a hundred times on the blog. It seriously works for any occasion.

Back to the food — this was Mr. Chow’s first picnic and he behaved surprisingly well, except for when he tried to take my lunch right out of my hand.

Can you blame him though?

nori-wrap-urthe-cafe

Urth Caffe Nori Wrap

This sushi-like vegan roll was an awesome alternative to real fish. It was packed with brown rice, carrots, broccoli, avocado and tofu. It almost had me convinced I could actually go vegan. Almost…

Sunday was spent enjoying our usual routine – real sushi and beach volleyball.

sushi-erewhon

Erewhon Sushi // Kevita (the best probiotic drink eva)

beach-day

De Rex Action-Short // Polaroid Muscle Tank // Faux Clubmasters

I hope you enjoyed the food, fitness and fashion shots from this weekend and found them at least moderately beneficial.

See, foodie/fitness bloggers don’t only wear Lulu.

Weigh In: Are you down with me incorporating fashion in with the food? How would you describe your personal style? What’s the most you’d pay for a sports bra?

*This post is linked to What I Ate Wednesday.

Comments

1. YOUR SPORT BRA, THE AVOCADOES, THE OYSTERETTE RESTAURANT….YOUR LIFE HAS ME SOLD!

Can we swap lives? 😀
    Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…WIAW #6 – Food Survey Style!My Profile

2. JFranco! Your food/fashion/fitness blog post this week was a lot of fun… please do more posts like this!
    Camille recently posted…Discovering the Ancient Bristlecone Pine ForestMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Thanks Camille! Glad to see it’s going over well. There will def be more. I can’t promise anymore JFranco but I’ll try to keep them exciting 🙂

3. Yes, I’m down with you incorporating fashion into your posts because all of your outfits here are killer. JAMES FRANCO!? What!!! Color me impressed, what a cutie he is!

Mr. Chow is adorable 🙂

4. I’m so jealous-I love James Franco. That Target dress is totally adorable, and I want all your eats. yum!

• Whitney English says:

Thank you!! Yeah, he’s pretty hot – although I do prefer the “Spiderman Franco” over this shaggier Franco 😉

5. Yes to the fashion! Although, it’ll be winter here soon so I doubt I’ll have any use for anything you share BOO! But I can live vicariously haha
    My style (if you can call it that) is super laid back because I go for comfort over all else lol but I’m a sandals fiend and the ones you’re wearing in these pics are super cute 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Garlic Shrimp Pasta with Roasted BeetsMy Profile

6. Didn’t know Brooke Burke had a new line-love her! When you have D cups you have to pay big bucks to hold up big boobs-lol! I like Panache bras with underwire
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Surfing in DC?!My Profile

7. Annie P. says:

Whitney, I would love to see your take on fashion! I think it helps a lot when you mix in budget friendly options. I have a lot of blogs I like to read for fashion inspiration, but it gets frustrating when they spend $600 on shoes alone 🙁

Also I would be interested to know where you buy the majority of your workout clothes from. I have a new baby at home and am in yoga pants ALL DAY. I love the lulu lemon brand but they’re so expensive that I can’t justify buying it. Do you think it’s worth it it she’ll out for expensive workout gear?

• Whitney English says:

Honestly, I don’t own anything from Lululemon. It’s not because I don’t like them (they’re adorable), it’s what you said above. I don’t like to spend a lot of money on workout clothes. There are so many options to get cute, affordable workout gear, it’s just unnecessary to spend a lot. I think Target has great workout clothes and Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx and Ross are also great options for finding brand name stuff on sale. I also think there is no point to spend a lot of money on plain black yoga pants – they all look exactly the same! The only expensive workout clothes I own were gifts (thanks Mom). If you really want something from a special brand name designer, I would wait till they go on sale, because they always inevitably do!

8. Give the people what they want 😉 I enjoy a good mix of everything and who doesn’t love those two F words?!? I recently caved and bought a Lulu sports bra, so that would be my most expensive one to day. Other wise I’m a Target C9 girl and most of mine were on sale. They are great, last a long time, and come in fun bright colors! Sporty-baller-on-a-budget find! xoxo, ganeeban

PS-I like how slyly (if you can even do that) pic of you and J. Franco!
    ganeeban recently posted…WIAW – That good, good!My Profile

9. Love your fashion post and that peek-a-boo sports bra is so cute!!! I totally agree on buying budget basics and splurging on special pieces and accessories. It makes a budget go much further!
    Sam @ Reddy Or Knot recently posted…What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

10. I love your outfits so yes, incorporate them! I like that they are cheaper pieces and incorporate Target… I love Target and TJ Maxx!
    Julie recently posted…WIAW: New Eats & Guardians of the Galaxy!My Profile

11. You have ALWAYS dressed so dang cute and I am thrilled you have committed to doing more fashion posts! I love that Caelum sports bra you are wearing! So cool that you tried the line with Brooke Burke! Isn’t Brooke Burke also from Tucson? I’ll watch your interview to find out! xoxooxoxo! BA
    Bethann Wagner recently posted…On the Run in PlaidMy Profile

12. I love your dog!! And James Franco 🙂

Um… I spend way too much money on Sports Bra’s. But, I justify it because I defiantly need the support that I don’t find in cheaper sports bras. Lulu’s ta-ta tamer and Victorias Secret are the best!

Have you checked out Fabletics yet? I’m obsessed! They are pretty affordable and so cute!
    Alex @ DelishKnowledge recently posted…Vegan Snickers MilkshakeMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Haha I love them both too 😉

I’ve heard great things about Fabletics but I haven’t tried it yet. Will def have to soon!

13. Claudia Rosenbaum says:

Fun! You live the life. I love your doggie/mommy picnic. Oliver and Lord Byron are super jealous of Mr. Chow

14. Oh my gosh! I LOVE that dog!
    Traci recently posted…Summer DaysMy Profile

15. UGHHH JAMES. I saw him perform in ‘Mice and Men’ on broadway in nyc. so much talent and good looks! can you tell me the story in an email? 😉

ps how cute are u in that target dress! love your breezy cali style xx

Mentioned Elsewhere:

1. Shorts Blog says:

Recommended Fabletics Rachelle Muscle Tank Top

[…] for fashion inspiration, but it gets frustrating when they spend $600 on shoes […]