Grainy Days & Plant-Based Protein

what-i-ate-wednesday

Last week I watched the documentary, Forks Over Knifes. Yes, I know, I’m way behind the ball on this one.

Anyway, it was extremely eye-opening.

The movie discussed the role of animal products in cardiovascular disease and cancer. It gave numerous studies citing a correlation between the two, including the popular China Study.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat with refuting evidence, I haven’t said that I agree with this information. I’ve actually heard there are a lot of problems with The China Study. I just said it was thought-provoking.

Having the ability to sort through the wide array of studies and nutritional information out there and make decisions for myself is the reason I decided to go back to school. At this point, I am not qualified to evaluate the info, but one day I hope to be.

For now though, I take each piece of information I hear with a grain of salt — or in this case, a grain and a legume.

Many of the things in the documentary made sense to me, like the impact of animal product production on the environment and the American tendency to consume massive amounts of animal meat while the rest of the world eats it more modestly.

Some things, like cutting out eggs or wild fish, made less sense.

I’m down to try anything that seems reasonable though, so for the past few weeks, I’ve decided to incorporate more plant-based protein into my diet.

Today’s What I Ate Wednesday shows how easy that is to do.

Breakfast:

breakfast

The usual suspects: Ezekiel English Muffin with 1 T. Almond Butter, six Pasture-Raised Egg Whites and a good ole’ cup of caffeine.

Snack:

mrs-mason-jar

A Blueberry-Banana Smoothie with Vega Vanilla Plant-Based Protein.

Lunch:

vegan-wrap

A vegetarian wrap from Mendocino Farms with bean puree and a whole wheat tortilla.

eat-happy

Love this sign. Thanks, I will.

Snack:

fruit

Fresh Fruit

Dinner:

chickpea-mix

Trader Joe’s “Melodious Blend” (found in the freezer aisle).

So tasty and so healthy.

This stuff is made purely of Green Garbanzo Beans, Red and Green Lentils, Tomatoes, and Olive Oil. I added in some quinoa for extra protein, sprinkled it with salt and pepper, and dinner was served!

Dessert:

sweet-potato

A “Baked” Sweet Potato with Almond Butter.

#strangebutgood

Eating plant-based protein vs. animal-based turned out to be pretty easy.

At this point, I don’t intend to become vegetarian or vegan — I’m still eating fish, eggs and dairy. I’m just experimenting a bit to see how my body feels.

And, if a few chickens’ lives are spared along the way, it’s an added bonus!

I’ll let you know how it goes.

On an unrelated note (sort of related though since I’m a huge animal-lover) any fans of Mr. Chow out there may want to know that he now has his own Instagram account @achowslife.

mr-chow-instagram

Please follow accordingly.

Weigh In: Have you watched Forks Over Knives? Thoughts? What are your favorite sources of plant-based protein?

Comments

1. Forks Over Knives was so inspiring! I mean, it had no lasting effect on my on again off again vegetarianism, but it made me more conscious! Love these photos especially the ‘Eat Happy’ sign! So cute! xoxo, BA

2. I still haven’t seen that documentary! It definitely looks interesting – I just have a tendency to get scarred VERY easily so I have been a little apprehensive. 😉

Sweet potato + AB/PB = world’s best combination.
    Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted…What I’m Reading WednesdayMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Don’t worry, it’s not scary! Check it out when you have an AB Sweet Potato on hand to keep yourself calm 😉

3. I haven’t watched that documentary yet but I’m adding it to my list.
    I’ve been eating more plant based recently because I had a lot of digestive issues when I ate meat recently. Hopefully I won’t have to cut it out all together, but right now I’m just enjoying a happy tummy 😀
    And my favourite type of plant based proteins would have to be quinoa, beans and peanut butter 🙂
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Easy Coconut Granola Bites {Vegan, Gluten Free}My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Yes, you should definitely watch it.

That’s awesome that you’ve been feeling better with more plant-based protein. I’m hoping to have some digestive relief as well!

4. I haven’t seen the documentary but sounds interesting. I am a vegetarian mostly for health reasons since age 12. Sometimes those movies get a little crazy but there is usually some useful info to be gained.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…5 Minute Kale Pomegranate Parmesean SaladMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

This one is pretty mild as documentaries go. No real “scare tactics” here – just research based info. Def recommend checking it out!

5. MR.CHOW DID NOT GET INSTAGRAM.

I’m intrigued to see how you feel on a plant based protein diet. I reckon giving up meat or dairy would be one of the hardest things, but I’m game to give it a go.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Niki Failed Paleo- Week 1My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Oh yes he did! His star was on the rise and I just couldn’t hold him back any longer 🙂

So far I’m feeling pretty great. No monumental changes but I haven’t been feeling as hungry as I usually do. It has been a little difficult at restaurants though.

6. I most definitely did watch this documentary. I happened to enjoy it and was already on board with a lot of the stuff they covered. I was a vegetarian for 6 years, and then almost 3 years ago took the vegan plunge. I never looked back. My favorite plant based proteins come from quinoa (duh) nuts (double duh, though not all that high in protein really) tempeh, tofu on occasion, cous cous, BEANS (stand back everyone) spinach, and dry roasted edamame.
    Brittany recently posted…Mount WashingtonMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Beans and quinoa have been my main stays lately, but yes haha, you have to watch the bean intake 🙂

7. I’ve never watchedForks over Knives but i have watched fat Head! You should give it a try 🙂
    Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…Run Your Heart Out WorkoutMy Profile

8. There are so many good points to each side of the food industry. But think everyone needs to be aware of everything and make their own decisions.

And love that sign — fat and happy!!
    Purelytwins recently posted…July FavoritesMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Agreed. Sometimes it seems that the more you learn, the more questions you have. But I’m going to keep on exploring!

9. I’ve seen all the food docs! ha! Food inc is also eye opening.
    Ive been vegan for 6 years and im never looking back! I feel healthier, more vibrant and conciously aware. All fruits and veg contain protein! If you eat enough calories, you will get enough nutrients, protein and fat from fruit and veg! after reading 801010 diet it opened my mind to nutrition info that is not made mainstream (becuase there is no money to be made off of it). you should look into it! anyways looooved that you wrote about this and are including more plants foods. thats always the best first step! xx

• Whitney English says:

Thanks Cel! I saw Food Inc. too a few years ago and thought it was great too.

What is the name of the book you recommend?

• the 801010 diet by dr Douglas graham! not even kidding when i say it changed my life. even if you dont adapt a raw vegan diet, the book will make you think of food and life in a whole different way! enlightened!

Mentioned Elsewhere:

1. […] place where I begrudgingly went for the lack-luster tilapia instead of the succulent chicken — being “pescatarian” on the road is […]

2. […] few weeks ago, I decided to incorporate more plant-based protein into my diet. I dubbed it, a “pescatarian” or “loose, plant-based […]