Just Like Ramen Noodles (But Healthy!)

noodle-up-close

You know how a lot of kids kick and scream and cry when their parents leave them with a babysitter? I was not that kid.

I was always overjoyed to have my freedom.

Being rid of the parental units meant I could run wild (to an extent) for a few hours and terrorize my new best friend, a.k.a. the unwitting 16-year-old who thought the little girl with the bowl cut looked liked Shirley Temple with bad hair. I wasn’t, I was more like Dennis the Menace.

But what was even more exciting than misbehaving was getting to eat “junk food.” I’ve mentioned before that my mom usually made us eat pretty healthy. When we had a babysitter though, two things were on the menu: Mac & Cheese or Ramen Noodles. I was obsessed with both and would eat as many bowls as the babysitter would allow.

Ever since I started eating healthy though, those two dishes have scarcely crossed my path. Even in college, I was not the girl holed up in her dorm room eating microwaved noodles. I was the one cooking egg whites in the microwave.

Anyway, last week I had a slight tickle in my throat and wanted nothing more than a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup. As you probably know though, a can of chicken noodle soup is loaded with sodium.

What I did have on hand was a nice big, baked, spaghetti squash, waiting to be transformed into noodles.

spaghetti-squash-2

I traditionally eat spaghetti squash with red sauce, but I thought, “What the hey, let’s see what else this baby can do.”

So I tossed a little chicken stock in there, some spices, and went for it.

chicken-noodle-soup-wide

“Holy, Moly!” I thought, as my brain’s synapses began to forge 15-year-old connections. “This tastes just like Ramen soup!!!”

I was shocked, awed, and thrilled beyond belief. All this time I could have been enjoying one of my favorite foods at no cost to my healthy diet?!

Hallelujah, it’s a Christmas miracle.

I hope you’ll enjoy this warm, flavorful meal as much as I do. Though it’s not likely that anyone else gets as excited about a bowl of noodles as this girl.

This recipe is about 90 calories without chicken, 240 with, and is gluten-free, grain-free, low-fat, and can be made vegan/vegetarian!

Healthy “Ramen” Noodles

healthy-ramen-noodles

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti Squash (or 2 C. cooked)

1 C. Low-Sodium Veggie or Chicken Stock

1 tsp. Italian Seasoning

1 tsp. Garlic Powder

Sea Salt (to taste)

4 oz. Chicken Breast, cooked (optional)

Directions:

1. If you’re using a whole spaghetti squash, preheat the oven to 400.

spaghetti-squash

2. Cut squash in half, remove seeds and strings, lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray, and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes. *****

3. Using a fork, scrape the “noodles” out of the squash.

spaghetti-squash-3

4. Heat the stock in a pot over high heat.

broth

5. Add 2 C. squash noodles, spices, and chicken (if you’re not a veggie/vegan).

squash-broth

Mix and warm for about 5 minutes.

chow-kitchen-floor

6. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!

chicken-noodle-upclose

Total Calories: 90 w/o chicken, 240 with (single serving).

If you made a whole spaghetti squash, you’re going to have a TON left over. Don’t worry, I have a bunch more fabulous spaghetti squash noodle recipes.

Check em’ out…

Low-Carb Spicy Peanut Pad Thai

pad-thai

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

lasagna

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

spaghetti-squash-pasta

***** If you don’t feel like waiting 40 minutes for your squash to bake in the oven (or your don’t have an oven), you can cook spaghetti squash in the microwave.

Simply puncture a bunch of holes in the squash with a knife and pop it in the oven for about 13 minutes. When it’s done, cut it in half, remove the seeds/strings, and then scrape out the noodles. Ta da! *****

Want to see what else I eat on a regular basis, besides boatloads of Spaghetti Squash??? Take a peek inside my fridge! Today I am being featured on Zevia’s Fridge Raid:

Screenshot 2013-12-11 12.22.14For more fabulous recipes, head over to the link parties at What I Ate Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Strange But Good, and Show Off Fridays.

Weigh In: What was your favorite food as a kid? Do you have a healthy version of it? What kind of sweet haircut were you rocking at age 6? Was it worse than a bowl cut?

Comments

1. OMG this recipe is 100000% GiGi Approved! I am in heaven!

AND YOU AND I ARE TWINS! I LOVEDDDDDDDDD when my parents would LEAVE the house because then we would order pizza or chinese food and not give a crap because my parents weren’t home! And when my older sister learned how to drive, OH MAN! It was ONNNN! LOL! I remember one time, we ordered pizza and I guess my brother dropped the receipt in the hall way… And my mom found it and FLIPPED OUT! LOL!!! WHOOPS! Such a drastic difference from what I was when I was little to now, just like you! ;)
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Michelle Bridges Kicked My Booty, & I Liked It!My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Totally! Glad you like the recipe :) I should have mentioned this above, but you can also just mix the noodles with a T. of EVOO and the spices if you don’t have stock on hand. Healthy fats..mmmmmmm :)

2. Yesss I love all these spaghetti squash recipes, I actually just saw a spaghetti squash mac n cheese the other day! My favorite food was pop tarts… yikes.
    Ashley @ Broc Blog recently posted…The Poker RunMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

Oooo poptarts! Maybe I’ll take on those next :) I’ve seen some pretty interesting makeovers on Pinterest.

And the mac & cheese spaghetti squash sounds amazing. I saw one recipe but it called for about a cup of cheddar cheese. I’m still on the hunt for a healthier version!

3. I. Love. This. Idea. Yes I definitely lived off ramen noodles in college and no, I’m not afraid to admit that I wish I could justify still eating them because there are times when I do crave.crave.crave them and imagine some apocalyptic scenario type of excuse to buy those 10 packs for $1! I loved those beef flavor packets….
    Anyway, this sound delicious and I’m going to try it out! :-D
    Running Hutch recently posted…My Very Worst LowMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

I know! Their low price makes them all that more enticing right?! Luckily this recipe is very cheap as well :) Hope you like it!!

4. Hi Whitney, have you ever tried shirataki noodles?

• Whitney English says:

Hi Grace!!!

Yes I have! I bet they would work really well in this recipe too.

The only thing people complain about with those is that they taste really fishy. But I bet the chicken stock and spices in this would totally mask that. Thanks for the idea!

5. Genius! I make spaghetti squash a lot in place of noodles, why did I never put it together to sub it elsewhere?! Totally trying this next time I make soup. I loved soda as a kid because I never got it, so it was a treat. Now I won’t touch that crap.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Guys, Guys, Guys!!!My Profile

6. I love this idea and can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for the great article, Whitney!

7. Pinning this! Spaghetti squash is my family’s new thing!! :)
    Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted…Early week workouts & it’s time for holiday movies!!My Profile

8. What a cool idea! I use to eat ramen in college, but it’s made a come back as a special at many of our best Asian places in ATL. Must try this idea out!!!

My favorite childhood recipe-gone-healthy is my mom’s spaghetti pie. I turned it into a spaghetti squash pie!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Sriracha. The New Pumpkin.My Profile

9. Omg I’m totally trying this out!!! That looks so good! I seriously used to eat ramen noodles like my life depended on it, lol. I can’t wait to try it. I need to get the spaghetti squash …. I’m thinking even my picky hubby would like this. Oh, and you are gorgeous by the way! :)
    The Vegan. 8 recently posted…Chewy Maple Pecan CookiesMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

You’re so sweet, thank you!

I was a little nervous the first time I introduced the BF to spaghetti squash too. He likes his regular noodles. But he loved it! I would definitely try this or a traditional red sauce bolognese before moving on to any other more inventive SS recipes :)

10. haha about the Babysitter part, I used to eat so much mac-n-cheese as a kid and way too much ramen in college. This looks so good and I like that you added chicken too. Congrats on the fridge raid feature, you have so many eggs. I need to start eating healthier next year lol

Nice post Whitney!
    Dale Janee recently posted…Stockholm Style in ZurichMy Profile

• Whitney English says:

You’re not the first person to question my egg consumption, haha! I always get weird looks from the grocery store cashiers.

If you ever need any recipe ideas for eating healthy, feel free to shoot them my way :)

11. Wait can I pin all of these recipes?? Haha I’ve bought a spaghetti squash twice now and just let it rot on my counter because I can never think of ways to use it besides a simple tomato sauce. These all look wonderful, thanks!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…let the baking begin!My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Please do!!!

I’ve had them sitting around for two weeks before using them. They’ve never rotted though, haha.

12. Mmmm, winter squash! As a kid my favorite thing is probably still my favorite thing: chocolate chip cookie dough!
    Ellen recently posted…Pâtés for Vegs:My Profile

• Whitney English says:

Cookie dough is still up there at the top of my list too :) Luckily there are a lot of healthy ways to make that too!

13. I never even liked those noodles so I am fine with yours! :) I did not eat healthy as a kid so my favs were sweets! ;) I still have my weekend cookie treats! :)
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted…Giveaway Winner, Upcoming Fun & Random Other StuffMy Profile

14. I love all your ideas; have you ever tried Shirataki Pasta in these recipes?

• Whitney English says:

Thanks Sheila! I haven’t tried it in any of these recipes before but I have used them in the past. I’m sure they would work for any of these. I would just be sure to really dry them out prior to using them so they don’t make the sauce in the recipes too runny!

15. Excellent healthy choice of spaghetti squash!
    Sarah & Arkadi recently posted…Chocolate Cupcake with Raspberry ButtercreamMy Profile

16. I think you just revolutionized the health industry or at least the babysitting industry with this recipe! This is a godsend and I’m sending you a massive virtual hug for everything about this!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…If Not Now, When?My Profile

17. You need to send me spaghetti squash….damn Australia. We have nothing here.

I sported the sahhh hooot bowl hair cut for most of my young life.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Blogger Association Part 1My Profile

18. What a brilliant idea. I used to love those ramen houses where they serve fresh cut pasta with rich broth, tender meat and a soft boiled egg on top. I’m going to try this with zucchini noodles, a soft boiled egg and maybe some cayenne to spice it up. Thanks for the great idea!

19. Just made this today – totally delicious! I may have to eat this weekly.. perhaps even more this week as I have nearly an entire spaghetti squash to finish!
    Thanks for the recipe whitney – absolutely great!
    x Chloe